New Members – How to join us
We welcome new members at any time – we’ll be really pleased to see you and we’ll teach you everything you need to know.
You might think you know what Morris dancing is about – for better or worse. But the chances are you probably don’t! As we’re apparently in the post-truth era, here are a few hard and fast facts about Hammersmith Morris Men to help level things out.
Morris dancing with Hammersmith Morris Men is:
- (probably) unlike anything else you’ll have tried
- for everyone – you’ll be very welcome, whatever your culture, race or religion
- entirely free when you’re learning to dance
- great fun – you’ll join in with some of the best banter around
- energetic and physically hard – you get a really good work out
- for interesting people – you’ll meet a varied bunch of people in our team from students to social care consultants, teachers to professional musicians, academics to accountants, public servants to hedge fund managers
Morris dancing with Hammersmith Morris Men is not:
- just for old people – we currently have 10 dancers under 30 years old, about half our team
- just for people who can already do it – our current leader (called the Squire) joined when he was 26 and had never danced before
- just for folkies – some of us love folk music, some don’t
- for ‘mildly eccentric’ people, as another Morris team recently said in their advert – we’re a pretty normal bunch of blokes
- all play and no work – we practice hard and strive to dance as well as we can and we make time to have lots of fun
If you’re over 14 years of age, reasonably fit and with a reasonable sense of rhythm, why not give Morris a go? You’ll learn to be really proud that you dance with Hammersmith Morris Men – trust us.
For more information contact us here.
New members are welcome anytime but it’s easiest to join anytime between October and March. It’s often good to get in touch with us first or you can just come along to a practice and make yourself known.
Practices are on Tuesday nights from 7.30pm to 9.30pm at Linden House, Upper Mall, Chiswick, W6 9TA. Linden House is the home of London Corinthians Sailing Club and can be found on the riverside about halfway between the Dove and Old Ship pubs.